Brison Floats Hooker Compromise

by Staff | June 14, 2007 3:36 PM | | Comments (10)

Allan%20Brison.jpgAllan Brison, the Green Party’s 10th Ward aldermanic candidate, is distributing flyers in East Rock suggesting a compromise in the battle over the planned new Hooker School building on Whitney Avenue.

Brison (pictured at Tuesday’s rally against the federal immigration raids in town) calls “on both sides… to pledge to accept the pending decision of the CT Supreme Court, and not to pursue any further legal, extra-legal, or legislative actions which might delay the implementation of that decision.”

“[I]f the City wins the lawsuit, the construction should start… as soon as possible,” he writes in the flyer. “[I]f the City loses, a new site selection process should be intiated also as soon as possible…

“By agreeing to accept the court’s decision, both sides would save considerable time and money. It would also indicate willingness on both sides to get past the bitterness of the dispute and to work together for the good of the community.”

What do you think? Comment below.

Comments

Posted by: Daniel Sumrall | June 14, 2007 6:18 PM

Level-headed and reasonable, the essence of compromise and the rule of law, Brison's stand steps beyond bickering and inter-city politicking. Ward 10 would be served well with Brison as their alder.

Posted by: cedarhillresident [TypeKey Profile Page] | June 14, 2007 7:41 PM

Here Here! Time to move on. I support the Hooker School 100% but I hope that the legal resistence can come to end once the courts make there decision. This school needs to be built.

Posted by: Paulette Cohen | June 16, 2007 1:11 PM

Christina Spiesel/Paulette Cohen

We are two Everit Street neighbors who have stood firmly on oppposite sides of the Hooker/Whitney-Site controversy, but we are now united in applauding the call to accept the Supreme Court decision as final. It is time to put this controversy behind us, heal the neighborhood, and build Hooker 3-8 -- be it at 691 Whitney Avenue, or on another site.

We hope many more will add their voice in support of this pledge. Let the Supreme Court decision mark both an end, and a beginning.

Posted by: Edward Mattison | June 16, 2007 1:53 PM

Notwithstanding the fact that Allen is running against me for Alderman, I too want to applaud his idea. As everyone in the neighborhood knows, I have strongly supported the Whitney Ave. site because it just seems to me far superior to all the alternatives. But I am deeply saddened by the community divisions the choice has created. I pledge that to the extent I have any capacity to make a difference, I will support Allan's idea and I thank him for coming up with it. I hope everyone else on all sides will agree.

Posted by: Sally Joughin | June 17, 2007 11:33 AM

While I think the Whitney Ave site is a very good spot in East Rock for the new school, I also agree with Brison that it is time to move on, by both sides accepting whatever decision comes down from the Supreme Court, so that a new school can finally be built somewhere. The children deserve it. I'm still sorry that neighbors didn't see the positive side of having a school in their area, but maybe if a new site has to be found, there will be a location with more welcoming neighbors, which would be a good thing for the school too.

Posted by: Allan Brison | June 17, 2007 10:22 PM

I want to commend Ed Mattison for his signing on to my proposal concerning Hooker school. I look forward to working with Ed in the ensuing weeks to help this compromise become a reality.

Allan Brison
Candidate for Alderman, Ward 10
Green Party

Posted by: Susanne Roberts | June 18, 2007 11:44 AM

While I have strongly opposed as inadequate, unwise and illegal the Whitney Avenue site for a school, I support this proposal. It is time to move on, and I hope to a better location.

Posted by: charlie | June 18, 2007 5:51 PM

Smart move. This kind of flyering should be a model for all future disagreements. Now let's all start working on more important issues in New Haven (and beyond) than this school.

Posted by: Bob Frew, former alderman 9 | June 19, 2007 6:03 PM

From a planning perspective I think that this was one of the worst proposals in recent years and I hope that the site is used for high density housing which the city needs. I agree that we should move on, it is costing all of us a lot of tax money

Posted by: geoffrey hartman | June 19, 2007 9:04 PM

My wife Renee and I agree that a pledge to accept the Supreme Court decision is a good way to settle this among us. It is our hope, of course, that whatever the specific decision of the CT Supreme Court regarding this case, it will provide the right frame for other zoning issues of this kind.

Geoffrey Hartman