Four Wounded In Weekend Shootings

by Melissa Bailey | June 23, 2008 10:53 AM | | Comments (36)

A 16-year-old is under surgery this morning after being shot in the back in one of four weekend shootings.

The most recent incident happened at 1:26 a.m. Monday. A 16-year-old was taken to Yale-New Haven Hospital for a gunshot wound to the back, according to city spokeswoman Jessica Mayorga.. The victim was undergoing surgery at the hospital Monday morning, Mayorga said.

“Detectives are investigating where this incident occurred, which is possibly in the area of Orchard and Elm Streets,” Mayorga wrote in a statement Monday. Anyone with information is asked to call 946-6316 or 946-6304.

Three more people were wounded by gunfire over the weekend, including one outside a downtown club.

At about 2:40 p.m. Saturday, police got word that a man had been shot at 530 Howard Ave. in the Hill. They found a 39-year-old city man with a gun shot wound to his leg. Police do not have a description of the suspect, Mayorga said.

On Friday at 8:30 p.m., another 16-year-old was shot, this time in the leg. The incident happened at Columbus Avenue and Arch Street in the Hill.

“The victim was unable to provide any information to the investigating officers and detectives, other than to stay he was walking in the area when he heard gunshots and then felt pain,” according to Mayorga.

Post-Club Chaos Erupts

And downtown is reverberating from another shooting after closing time outside the Gotham Citi Cafe, a night club at 130 Crown St. The shooting took place as a crowd was leaving an “OZ After Hours” party that started at 2 a.m. Saturday, when most bars shut down. At about 3:04 a.m., “gunfire erupted in an adjacent parking lot to the club,” according to Mayorga.

A neighbor reported hearing half a dozen gunshots. An 18-year-old man from Bridgeport was treated for a bullet wound to the arm.

The shooting was the second in two months at closing time outside the club. In April, a 17-year-old man was shot in a fight that erupted as teens were leaving an all-ages party at Gotham.

Comments

Posted by: TrueBlueCT [TypeKey Profile Page] | June 23, 2008 12:20 PM

What are the City and Yale waiting for? A couple of my neighbors to get killed because of the chaos the out-of-control nightclubs are creating downtown?

They should re-name the Arts and Entertainment District "Zoo Haven". And in terms of violence, Crown Street is beginning to resemble Kensington or Winchester Streets in days gone past. Of course the crime statistics are getting buried, but I count 8-12 aggravated assaults/attempted murders so far this year. (I hope the NHI might do some digging...)

The City needs to do something about Gotham. Instead of extra-duty police officers working on the club's payrolls --as little more than glorified bouncers, -- what we need are two or three undercover patrols and a lot more arrests.

Please, before one of my neighbors gets killed.

Posted by: down with Gothem | June 23, 2008 12:53 PM

Truebluect I totally agree with you. What needs to be done to declare this a nuisance bar. If you would like to start a petition or go and protest this place on Thursday night I'm in.

Posted by: TrueBlueCT | June 23, 2008 1:52 PM

Whatever it takes. (btw, do you have an extra bullet-proof vest?)

If we want to do a protest, maybe we should go to Mr. Bartolomeo's home and neighborhood in North Haven.

I'm not saying we should do anything unlawful, but maybe we could stage a gunfight with plastic guns so his neighbors could understand what it feels like to live in the middle of an OK Corral...

Posted by: ROBB | June 25, 2008 6:10 PM

How come everytime their is a shooting or fight in New Haven within a 3 block radius from Gotham it is my fault, I have operated a nightclub on this corner for 12 years, many more years than many of you have lived or even been coming to downtown. I have hosted hundreds of parties catering to a host of diversified communtities and age groups servicing tens of thousands of patrons. These fights or shootings do not occure at Gotham, they happen blocks away, which means we are doing our job, it means that the world is a violent place to be in 2008 and we have kept Gotham safe, that we have kept the guns and the violence out of Gotham, DONT SIT HERE and tell me we bring "these people" to New Haven, this is where "these people" live. DONT SIT HERE and say we encourage this violence and then borrow officers time that that I pay for every night to solve your petty crimes. The cops standing in front of Gotham keeping you safe walking back and forth from your lofts to your restaurants are paid for by me, out of my pocket. Thousands of dollars a week. My club is now open only 10 hours a week, I have the right to operate many more times that, but I realize that downtown is a changing place and I choose to be a good neighbor, I voluntarily close it most of the week to keep everyone happy, and because I dont want to listen to the nonsense. 12 years ago when I was building a mega club and no one lived here, and no one wanted to come down here, they encouraged me to open, to build more, to spend more of my hard earned dollars to help create the entertainment mecca that downtown has become. If you didnt want clubs downtown you should have told us then, before we spent hundreds of thousands to be in business. We (The clubs) are a big reason New Haven is vibrant and safe, we pay for so many of these officers that you see on the street, directly by paycheck, not out our taxes. And dont tell me its Gotham, cause last week it was Alchemy and next week it will be Hammerjacks, and dont tell me its only limited to the clubs , how bout a shooting in a restaurant a few weeks ago, who's fault is that?, Nikkita's, Nick Valetta's,the big problem that no one wants to address is the truth, the world has become a much more violent place and that;s just the way it is. You can sit here and blame me for your late night violence, that will undoubtely occur with me or without me or you can actually do something about it, pitch in and create neighboorhood watch blocks, encourage other businesses that collect money from patrons such as parking lots, up to $15 a car, and then leave when the lot is full and their money made to hire additional security. Have real talk sessions, between business owners and residents and police to try and resolve the violence and create a plan to attack it rather than blame business after business for it. Granted Downtown wasnt very well planned when they were approving all these commercial and residential projects and hodgepodging them together, but the administration wanted to jumpstart the city and that it did,creating a vibrant downtown for many diversified groups and uses. Now the businesses and the residents have to come together to combat the real problem "crime and violence", but alas i doubt it will happen because you all want to sit and point fingers at someone and blame them for all your problems, and when I am retired sitting quietly in North Haven it will be some other guy who invested millions at that point to make New Haven a vibrant place where you all want to live and be entertained, but you dont want any noise or violence. Rememember, even Filet Mignon turns to shit, their is always a price to pay for any action.

Robb Bartolomeo
Founder, Owner Gotham Citi Cafe

Posted by: JP | June 26, 2008 9:36 AM

ROBB,
Your ridicules the reason people blame you is because you absolutely have themed nights and events geared at bringing a dangerous group of people downtown. You have the only after hours club and we all know they only reason to stay out past 2am when you're not serving drinks is because your on cocaine or some other drug. The volume you insist on playing music at is easily the loudest in the city you can sing along to the lyrics outside starbucks 2 blocks away. Obviously Nick is a problem and I think you'll find people who know what's going on are not going there any longer. As far as you paying to police I'm not sure it's helpful since they all just stand in the doorway of you club. It's not like they enforce any laws while they are off duty. They are just there to protect you and your bouncers when something happens. If you want to put one on the corner of every block surrounding Gotham that would be nice. Have you every wondered why you need to have 5 or 6 cops and every other club/bar gets away with having just one or none. It because you appeal to a more dangerous population and I think you know this.
The fights and shootings don't happen blocks away they spill out of Gotham on to the street and as the cops chase the kids away the fight breaks out. Also for most of the 12 years you were there it was a much less dangerous gay club not anything like the current situation. According to your own website your open almost every night. http://www.gothamciticafe.com/GCC.html If you'd really like to be a good neighbor its not that hard. 1) Stop having events on nights other then Thursday, Friday and Saturday. 2) Shut down Ozz your after hours club. 3) Stop Letting people under 21 in no matter the night. 4) If you can hear the music past CVS it's to loud. 5) Install metal detectors at the door.

Posted by: joey | June 26, 2008 10:39 AM

well said Robb

Posted by: JP | June 26, 2008 10:57 AM

P.S. no other club has ever hosted an event where afterwards there was a shooting where the victim bled on my car.

Posted by: NoMoreViolence | June 26, 2008 12:13 PM

Hi Robb,
So you're saying last Friday night/Sat AM's shooting, which happened in the parking lot across Crown Street from Gotham, was not related to your patrons? Or the knife-ing from several weeks ago? Or the gunfight on the other side of 116 Crown, also within the past month?

What about Register headlines like these:
"Brawl, shooting after Gotham dance party renew fears of all-age club events"--
NEW HAVEN - A downtown brawl and shooting following a dance party at a Crown Street club Wednesday has renewed concerns about the safety of allaged parties. A 17-year-old was shot near the lower Green on Chapel Street just before midnight Wednesday during a 15-minute melee following a teen party at Gotham Citi, at 128 Crown St., police said.

Do you take any responsibility for the neighborhood nuisance that your club has become?

Posted by: Deuce | June 26, 2008 3:48 PM

What is it with dance clubs and violence in New Haven?

Posted by: ROBB | June 27, 2008 1:34 AM

3 shot in broad daylight on Chapel street drive by shooting.. who's responsible for importing those violent types?

According to your comments, maybe the deli where they bought their last soda, or maybe a gas station that they filled the car up.

Why are those businesses any less responsible than I am according to your logic.

Posted by: Cheri | June 27, 2008 8:50 AM

It seems very misguided to place the blame on Mr. Bartolomeo for the crimes of others. He rightly points out that stabbings/shootings/muggings, etc are happening all over New Haven at all hours of the day and night. I've lived in downtown areas all over the country, and part of the downtown experience is dealing with a level of noise not found in suburbs, or even in the in-between areas like Westville, East Rock area, etc.
We have serious social problems going on in this city, and in cities all over the country, mostly stemming from poverty, poor parenting, and a general lack of self-respect and respect for others, which leads to more people acting like animals. It's not Mr. Bartolomeo's responsibility to train them.

Posted by: JP | June 27, 2008 8:56 AM

ROBB Ill tell you why its because that's where they live. Thoughts kinds of things happen by chance and without repetition or the ability to foresee it happening. Like the shooting at Nikita. No one is happy there was a mugging there but things will happen. The difference is What you do is invite hundreds of unsupervised kids to my front door in a population that we know in this city is likely to carry guns. you say to the people who just did the random drive by hey why don't you come downtown to my club and get drunk. The guy you shoot his friends will be here too you can all dance the night away. Your shootings are foreseeable, avoidable and most importantly they happen over and over again. That's the difference. If it was once people would just say that sucks and move on but because its over and over and over and over again with you people realize its not a chance happening. You mix a dangerous population with alcohol and set them all drunk our on the street at the same time. It's a recipe for an explosion I don't know why you cant see that. Again to answer your question your not responsible for people being violent you're responsible from bringing them together. Your not the dynamite you're the match that sets it off.

Posted by: Tori | June 27, 2008 9:32 AM

I'm confused about what a "dangerous population" is, JP. Are you saying people under 18 are all dangerous? People under 18 in New Haven? People who like going to clubs? Black and Latino kids? Who, exactly, should Robb "invite" to his club? Anyone with an ID can show up - that's how clubs work.

Just saying, be careful with the stereotypes you're throwing around. They're not useful.

Posted by: JP | June 27, 2008 9:36 AM

Cheri,
you are right its not his responsibility to train them. It is his responsibility not to cater to them.

Posted by: Cheri | June 27, 2008 10:18 AM

I disagree that Mr. Bartolomeo is "catering" to criminals. And, I highly doubt he gets any pleasure out of the violence that occurs in the areas around his club...
In truth, any club/restaurant/convenience store, etc. is fair game for bad behavior if the badly behaved are willing and able to act. Obviously, these people fighting and acting out will find someplace to do so with or without Gotham.

Posted by: chingy | June 27, 2008 10:31 AM

I can say that society in general may be responsible. from music glorifying gang life,to video games showing how violence is glorified, to parents not knowing what their kids are up to. COurt treats them with kid gloves by giving probation to drug dealing kids and kids caught with guns get 2 week stints in detention. when a kid turns 16 or commits a serious crime and ends up in adult court the get whacked hard. there is no progressive discipline to modify behavior. there is no single fix, but a multi-front attack on youth crime is needed.

Posted by: JP | June 27, 2008 10:36 AM

I can absolutely appreciate what your saying and its not a color thing it's a violence thing. If the majority of shooting in New Haven happen to come from one population i'd say that has to do more with socio economic issues then the color of there skin. If there was a problem with white Yale kids shooting up 116 crown (right next door to Gotham) I'd have the same reaction.

Posted by: jp | June 27, 2008 11:13 AM

Cheri,
Your right without Gotham they would most likely find another place to go, but in all likelihood that place would not be downtown. Also by keeping the groups smaller you would keep the likelihood of an altercation smaller.

I don't know how you can say he doesn't cater to them. They come right out of his club. You don't see these problems at any of the other clubs downtown.

here is his add for July 15 http://www.gothamciticafe.com/GCC_Friday.html
open bar till 11
25 cent drafts

19 to look 21 to feel what does that imply.

why are 19 year olds allowed into a bar?
Do you think thats a good idea because Robb does

Posted by: TrueBlueCT | June 27, 2008 12:05 PM

JP, we should sponsor a Hell's Angel convention in North Haven, in Mr. Bartolomeo's neighborhood.

Most of those guys are decent law-abiding folks, and if a little "Hell" breaks loose on the street where Robb lives, it wouldn't be our fault, since we're not responsible for every last motorcycle gang member...

Posted by: JP | June 27, 2008 1:04 PM

TrueBlueCT,
Why limit it to the Hell's Angel we should see if every biker gang in the north east would like to get togther for ride. We can even offer then 25 cent drafts.

Posted by: TrueBlueCT | June 27, 2008 1:47 PM

JP--
I'm with you. Twenty-five cent drafts, and the right to party all night!

Maybe we should do some mock advertising up and down the street where Mr. Bartolomeo lives.

Something tells me the condo owners on Crown and Church Streets would be happy to help out.

Posted by: Cheri | June 27, 2008 2:04 PM

JP:
just so I'm clear on your point about Gotham in particular, are you saying that Gotham should do something differently that will suddenly keep certain people out of there? Are you thinking that all the downtown clubs should close down? I'm not trying to be sarcastic, but really trying to understand what on earth club owners can really do about crime...I have to cut them a bit of slack for noise, as in my opinion, clubs have to go somewhere, and that's typically what downtown areas are for..clubs, noise, a more urban life style, etc. I live downtown and deal with noise that is sometimes frustrating, but I deal with it. I guess I would agree that if there are residences in the area of these clubs, then they should close their businesses when all bars do, 1am on weekdays, 2am on fri & sat nights, and keep the cops around when the bars let out...I don't know what else one can expect to help alleviate the issues being discussed here, but I am disinclined to blame the businesess.

Posted by: Bruce | June 27, 2008 2:30 PM

Robb,

As the owner of such a large, successful business in a very competitive market, I am truly surprised by the immaturity of your response. Instead of arguing about who is to blame, the prudent thing to do would be to ask, as a member of the community, what you can do to help prevent such actions. Obviously you do not feel that you are at all responsible for these events that occur right outside your club after closing time. Did it occur to you that the perceived public safety issues of your business could affect the way the city and state officials treat your business? You have a lot at risk here and it would be smart not to make snap decisions while you're obviously still angry.

While you may think it wrong for one to assume that these people came from your club, you have to admit that it is possible. Maybe they came from another club, but aren't you a part of the late-night bar scene in the larger scope of things? Maybe you should coordinate with the other club owners to see what they are doing to prevent this sort of tragedy.

It's time to take a step back and look at the situation pragmatically. Maybe there is more that you can do to make things safer for the community that supports your business. Try not to lose your cool, because it really makes you look like you don't care. I hope you really do, because kids are getting shot. With real guns. This is nothing to take lightly.

Posted by: JP | June 27, 2008 2:42 PM

I would like to urge everyone to attend the next Downtown Wooster Square Management Team meeting where this will be reported on and discussed. It will be at City Hall in one of the 2nd floor Meeting rooms on Tuesday July 15 at 6 PM.

Posted by: ROBB | June 27, 2008 4:29 PM

I really have tried to keep my mouth shut JP, but you just keep writing statements which just arent true, and choose to attack me verbally rather than try to solve any problems. And I probably shouldnt keep responding, but again I am trying to be a good neighbor,and will keep my office door open so to speak. You of course have the upperhand,because you are allowed to remain annoymous behind a internet screenname whereas I can be seen any given night Gotham is open, usually on the corner of Church and Crown Streets between 1130p.m.-2 a.m. keeping a watchful eye on my establishment and the area around it.

1. The main club is open Thursday,Friday and Sat nights only and has been for over a year,the zagat rated restaurant has been open Tues-Sat and is closed for the summer for renovation. I would think since we are such a disturbance to you, you would know that by fact, not by looking up a outdated website.

2. July 15th is a Tuesday this year and we are not open, you are looking at a flyer from over a year ago and dated as such. We allow 18 plus into the club because the law allows us to do so, and the market warrants it. Of all the clubs on Crown Street only two do not cater to that market segment.

3. You seem to be making statements that we encourage violence, once again let me remind you, we have kept Gotham and the area around it safe, and we will continue to try and keep the surrounding areas safe, I guess you didnt like my idea of having the parking lots secured since your car was obviously never broken into or mugged in one of these dark unsupervised lots. I can tell you that I have paid for countless windows for my customers to keep them happy from completely irresponsible parking lot owners who have no interest in the security of their patrons or their cars. You really think that if these parking lots hired one police officer to the four that I hire, or even attended these lots til they were closed that their would be any crime in these lots, why do they bare no responsibilty for their customers at up to $15 a car.

4.North Haven is no mecca of safety either, the level of home invasions in suburbia is rabidly increasing as the economy tanks further and society reacts. This I know since I was a victim of such a crime less than a year ago in my home, tied up at knife point. But I guess since I cater to such clientele that is to be expected.

5.In actuality of all the clubs on Crown Street we cater to such markets you remark less than anyone, their has been numerous shootings and stabbings all over the street for a number or years. I know this because I have operated for 12 years and have had to duct sometimes as cars have shot bulletts when Gotham wasnt even open. Granted we are among the largest and the latest open so we are targeted, that is understandable, but in reality these rashes of violence have occured in the last few months as New Haven's violence as a whole has been increasing. I have operated these nights for years with little or few problems other than some noise or litter issues.

6.Gotham has been operating since 1996, if developers choose to build luxury condos next to or around my business after I have had many peaceful years of operation, should I close my doors because I do not fit into their new model plan, where are my rights as an established business owner, dont they have some responsibility to have placed these units in a appropriate place, kinda like building a subdivision by a landfill then complaining about the stink. But again we try to be good neighbors and no longer conduct any business on the Crown Street side of our business,that entrance and exit has been closed for over a year, all of our business is conducted on Church Street as far away from those luxury condos as possible.

I could go on and on about this topic, but the bottom line is we at Gotham ,are doing everything in our power to keep the club and the surrounding areas safe and to limiting our operation hours to show the surrounding community that we do show an interest in their quality of life. I truly wish I had an answer to solve the recent crime and violence issues in New Haven, I just don't. I can't promise that their will be less violence around Gotham, but I do promise we will take every step possible to prevent it as a responsible business owner should.

Have a Joyous 4th of July, This will be my last response.

Robb Bartolomeo
Founder, Owner Gotham Citi Cafe

Posted by: JP | June 27, 2008 6:41 PM

Robb,
Your just not telling the truth. I don't think you encourage violence. I do think you create an environment where violence is inevitable, foreseeable and preventable.
You say will take every step possible to prevent it. Hopefully that means stopping your under 21 activity, installing metal detectors, Turning down the volume and closing Ozz.
I doubt you'll do any of that but hey my guess is with Gateway comeing in and everything the city will shut you down if all this continues anyway.

Posted by: Chris Gray | June 28, 2008 2:50 AM

O.K., the Supreme Court has ruled on the legality of handguns in the home. Now we need them to rule on licensing.

The problem isn't the clubs, the kids, the hours, the alcohol or the drugs so much as the guns. We must make tracking down and halting the flow of illegal guns into the hands of those too ready to use them a priority. Or do the huge profits in this deadly industry preclude justice?

Robb is not responsible for that any more than our schools and our courts, which have long needed metal detectors, are responsible. We need leadership from the NRA.

Posted by: Edward_H | June 29, 2008 10:45 AM

Within the past couple of weeks we have had crime in New Haven blamed on

Landlords:

Convenience stores:

And now here again a business owner is being blamed for the actions of some young savages. I really doubt anyone here who is blaming Robb has ever run a successful business themselves. No business owner wants the problems associated with violent criminal acivity on their doorstep. Voilent crime is bad for business. You have to contend with bad publicity, irate neighbors, lawsuits from victims,inceased scrutiny from law enforcement and increased insurance rates as well.

I am sure the next time a bank is robbed someone in New Haven will figure out a way to blame the bank. After all, they are just flaunting their wealth when so many others sre struggling.

CHRIS GRAY

We need leadership from the NRA.

Let's say for the sake of arguement the NRA decides to support whatever measures you think are appropriate to keep guns out of the hands of those who should not have them. What will stop these murderous teens from beating each other with baseball bats , stabbing each other with kitchen knives or just in general ganging up on each other and stomping some poor kids head into the ground? Will you be first in line to support restricting the sale of baseball bats and blaming K-mart and Wal-Mart for selling cheap knives? Perhaps we can send Martha Stewart back to prison once someone uses her affordable cutlery to skewer a teenager.

Posted by: TrueBlueCT | June 29, 2008 7:40 PM

Hey, since apparently Alchemy has launched a new afterhours club called "Elevate", I don't want to blame Gotham for the late-night violence.

However, I hope the City and Yale will do their best to start closing the entire downtown club scene, completely, at 2:00am, (i.e. when the police head home.)

Certainly we don't need a nightlife running until 3:00, 4:00, even 5:00 in the morning? This includes the juice bars, the late-night food places, etc. Shouldn't 2:00am bring an end to the noise for downtown residents?

Can anyone tell me where else in Connecticut the nightlife is allowed to run later than even 1:30am? I don't know of anywhere, except maybe the strip clubs.

Let's make 2:00AM a strict ending time to the madness and mayhem of Zoo Haven.

FWIW.

Posted by: Chris Gray | June 29, 2008 11:19 PM

Edward_H,

First, I enjoyed your point about business owners. I've seen similar violence to the kind of mayhem you describe happen outside Toads and, as I mentioned the last time Gotham City came up, the flower seller in front of Demery's called it the Friday Night Fights. No one called for the closing of those bars.

I never owned or used a baseball bat as a weapon, but own my own billy club (an heirloom from my father's days as a railroad cop, over 50 years ago) and have previously written regretfully here on my own stupid use of a knife as a threat. Guns are an entirely different level of threat and, as with many of the tragedies here lately, the collateral damage is exponentially greater.

The guns in question don't appear to me to come from K-Mart since they often seem to be in the hands of felons and others who would fail a background check and the licensing requirements. As I recall, the Chief of Police needs to sign off on one of those.

The NRA has long encouraged enforcing the laws on the books. That seems more sensible to me than trying to buy all these guns back.

Posted by: JP | June 30, 2008 9:42 AM

Edward_H
The shootings you listed happened in and around where people live. We are talking about shootings that happen where people with guns otherwise would not be.

TrueBlueCT,
I didn't know Elevate was open after 2:00 I agree that everything should have to close at 2:00 Obviously thought 19 year old girls from southern in tube tops are not going to be to big a threat to public safety, although they can be load and obnoxious... Jager bombs!!!!

Posted by: JP | June 30, 2008 9:43 AM

also id like to point out that in fact toads was closed by the state last summer.

Posted by: Deuce | June 30, 2008 3:49 PM

Toad's? Their problems occured on dance music nights. Hmmm, maybe there's a connection. What is it with dance music and violence in New Haven? Is it music for dancing or to rile up the violent tendancies of urban savages?

Posted by: downtown d | July 1, 2008 1:41 PM

Just to be clear that we aren't mixing topics, Toad's was shut down for its sale of liquor, not for any violence or any other reason.

When people use the words "urban savage", i cringe.

Posted by: Deuce | July 1, 2008 2:42 PM

Downtown D, Toad's was mentioned in another post with respect to fights. Those incidences occured on their dance party nights. And what's wrong with the term 'urban savage'? Violence-prone humanoids from the city are just that. What else should I call them? Pugilistic cosmopolitans?

Posted by: D-tron | July 2, 2008 1:11 PM

Is it really necessary to explain why referring to "urban savages" with "violent tendencies" is, at best, simple-minded and misguided (if not overtly racist as well)? "Violence prone"; come on. At least try to maintain the level of discussion that was going on.