“Serious” Suspect In Annie Le Case

by Paul Bass | September 14, 2009 5:28 PM | | Comments (42)

Police are zeroing in on a lab tech as a possible suspect in the murder of graduate student Annie Le, according to two people familiar with the probe.

Contrary to national media reports, the suspect is not a student. The suspect is not in custody.

Le, who’s 24, went missing on Tuesday. On Sunday, state cops found a body inside a wall at the Yale medical school lab building where she was last seen, at 10 Amistad St. The state medical examiner Monday afternoon positively identified the body as Annie Le, and ruled her death a homicide.

Police officials definitively denied Monday afternoon that they’ve centered suspicion on a Yale student in the probe — or that any student is “involved” in the case.

However, a source familiar with the investigation said the probe has zeroed in on a single “serious” suspect.

Another law enforcement source familiar with the probe identified the suspect as a lab technician who works with animal testing at Yale. That technician’s campus phone number was disconnected Monday afternoon and he couldn’t be reached for comment. The technician allegedly had an unrequited romantic interest in Annie Le, according to that source. That suggestion couldn’t be independently verified Monday afternoon. [Update: Police Chief James Lewis and others definitively ruled out that potential motive. The rumor never gained any credibility.]

The New Haven Register’s Bill Kaempffer reported that the suspect failed a polygraph test, and requested a lawyer.

Annie Le Probe “Won’t Destroy Reputations”

As of Monday afternoon, police had no suspects in custody in the investigation of graduate student Annie Le’s grisly death, Chief James Lewis said.

He told the Independent that his cops have been busy interviewing “and reinterviewing” “lots of people.” The department will not reveal the names of interviewees or “persons of interest,” according to Lewis.

“We don’t want to destroy people’s reputations,” Lewis said.

The last time a Yale student death attracted a national media frenzy — the 1998 murder of undergraduate Suzanne Jovin — cops publicly floated the name of a professor as a “person of interest.” He was never tied to the murder. He said his career suffered greatly as a result of the exposure.

State cops Sunday discovered human remains believed to be those of Annie Le, a third-year doctoral pharmacological student at the medical school, inside a basement wall at a medical school building on Amistad Street. The New Haven police took over the investigation of the case at that point from the FBI and Yale police.

About 30 cops are now working on the case, Lewis said Monday afternoon. About half are New Haven cops; the rest work for Yale’s force and the FBI.

Assistant Chief Peter Reichard and Lt. Lisa Dadio, head of the investigative services unit, are overseeing the investigation.

Chief Lewis said he expects it’ll take 48 hours for much of the important evidence to come back from testing labs. Police expected preliminary results Monday afternoon from the chief medical examiner’s autopsy.

Lewis was asked why it took much of the week to locate Le’s apparent body.

“If people are familiar with the way this building is laid out, I don’t think they’d be surprised,” Lewis said. “People were in the building for a solid four days testing it.”

He was also asked why Yale waited until now to shut down the medical lab building at 10 Amistad St. where Le was last seen and where her apparent remains were found. He pointed out that that the case wasn’t officially a homicide investigation until Sunday. “For the first couple of days it was a missing person” case, he noted. “We have missing persons all over the country all the time. You can’t shut down a building for that.”

Comments

Posted by: Yale Observer | September 14, 2009 7:17 PM

Paul, I admire your restraint in not naming the Yale professor whose reputation was damaged in the Jovin case, even though his identity is widely known. Good call. BTW, his reputation seems to have rebounded -- it only took 11 years!

Posted by: Anna | September 14, 2009 7:50 PM

This rings true - I thought right from the beginning that it was probably a lab tech or one of the people who care for the lab animals. Someone that she would have known, not necessarily very well, but at a friendly level, someone who would know she was going to be there; someone she probably didn't fear and probably not someone whose professional ambition was the center of his life (e.g., a grad student, professor, or post-doc). It would have to be someone comfortable in the building, who could commit the crime on the spur of the moment as an opportunity arose, but who had some sort of plan.

It's safe to assume that the killer is a man (based on statistics alone), so that would rule out most of the clerical workers. Most people don't see enough of the building's cleaning/maintenance staff/building contractors to get to know them well enough to share details like an impending marriage, but most grad students do get to know the techs quite well.

Posted by: n | September 14, 2009 8:44 PM

If you know the suspects phone number then you know his name. What is a lab tech in the basement? Did the fire alarm activate from a hood in the basement?

Posted by: cedarhillresident [TypeKey Profile Page] | September 14, 2009 9:08 PM

They can't say anything till all their duck are in a row! They need the case to be iron clad! Media need to step back and respect like paul and staff. We all want who ever did it to never get out. And I am sure many that work there know who did it at this point but let the law do what they need to. My guess we will all know tomorrow.

Posted by: RCE | September 14, 2009 9:24 PM

Let's suppose the bloody clothes belonged to the lab technician/suspect. Wouldn't cameras have seen this suspect wearing the (pre-bloodied) clothes when he entered the building, and then leaving in a different set of clothes?

Posted by: Jeff | September 14, 2009 9:43 PM

Kind of ironic for you to write about how the police have learned their lesson about not identifying those they interview, yet you go and do the very thing? Now what... the local TV crews stake this guy out and put microphones in his face? Sound familiar. Yes, of course I hope the police have found their man, but I'd still seek out and fire the so-called police source for his sad display of loose lips.

Posted by: James C. | September 14, 2009 10:03 PM

Without having any information about the killer (or suspected lab tech's), one can see this is an obvious crime of passion committed in the heat of the moment by a killer the victim knew. If you are planning to kill the victim in this case for whatever reason, or if your a random predator, you would not choose to commit this murder in a secured lab with 75 CCTV camera's, in the middle of a weekday with a building full of people working at the time.

Annie L. could have known the killer quite well, or just in passing. She may or may not have known the killer was obsessed with her in either case. The killers preception of what kind of relationship he (she) had with the victim is probably totally ascue of what the reality was.

It would appear Annie L. attracted the attentions of the wrong person. When the dust settles will we see that this monster has a past to go with his present? Such that Yale U failed to properly screen its lab employees?

Posted by: robn | September 14, 2009 10:32 PM

There are stories everyday about the taking of people's lives but this story really got me. It certainly strikes home that it occurred in the Have' but more, I'm touched by the prominent moment in this young woman's life. Her career in pharmacology was just beginning and who knows what good her talent may have done in an era when medical research continues to probe the boundaries of human capacity for longevity and health. Her personal life was about to be opened up and shared with another in a lifetime bond... taken as a whole, her story speaks poignantly of beginning and I'm so sorry to see that ended. This is very sad.

Posted by: Jake | Revive Your Life | September 14, 2009 10:54 PM

What a sad story.

Everyone needs to keep Annie Le in their thoughts and prayers.

Posted by: Robin | September 14, 2009 11:39 PM

'Just wanted to thank you for this excellent report. Much more informative than any other on the internet. It would be great to see you scoop the big guys, but more than anything, commendable to give us some insight into how someone could commit this terrible crime.

Posted by: Mike Camilli | September 15, 2009 3:24 AM

To Cedarhillresident

You don't want him to ever get out? Is that all this presious life is worth to you? Is that justice for her? Whoever this scum is should get what he gave her and nothing less! Yes I know this should be a time to remember Miss Annie but we should also never forget what true justice demands. He took her life..and he should forfit his! Some say "the death pently does not work... it does not stop this type of crime". They miss the point. Although we all would hope that pentlies would detour crime the simple fact is they don't! DUI'S, shoplifting, etc,etc continue. Therefore puishment must fit the crime if true justice is to prevail! To support, in our 'country club' type prisons, a scum that would comitt this kind of crime is not close to justice for this sweet presious soul! ...

Posted by: sara | September 15, 2009 6:50 AM

We don't know who this lab tech is or what type of education he had. Let me ask Anna, who appears to think that the educated, professionals or those with lofty goals in life could not commit this kind of crime.

Ever hear of the" Craiglist's Killer"? Or the University of Alabama-Huntsville physics professor Andrew Pakhomov who killed his wife and dumped her body in the Tennessee River. Or the economist and University of Penn. professor Raphael Robb who mudered his wife? How about Professor George Zinkhan from the University of Georgia who killed his wife and two others this year?

Murders come from all walks of life Anna!

Posted by: Yale New Havener | September 15, 2009 7:53 AM

This has touched me more than I expected. I like to think of myself as a tough woman who is aware of her surroundings. I've been in New Haven for years now and have never felt any less safe than anywhere else. I feel for Annie, her family, her fiance and the entire Yale and New Haven community. Even more, I feel for women in general right now.
For me, more than the Jovin case, this brings up the Temple Grill case (just months ago) and all the many cases of violence against women that I've been hearing recently (and my whole life). Something needs to be done.
How many women out there no longer (or never) feel safe walking the streets at night? How many don't feel safe being alone in the day? Incidents like these don't just frighten us and sadden us, they rob us of the basic freedom to be outdoors and alone.
I'm sorry to take up so much space, but I want to share this with all my brothers and sisters out there who feel me on this . . . and those who don't. Let us take something from this tragedy and use it to better our community and our world.

"Poem about My Rights"

Even tonight and I need to take a walk and clear
my head about this poem about why I can't
go out without changing my clothes my shoes
my body posture my gender identity my age
my status as a woman alone in the evening/
alone on the streets/alone not being the point/
the point being that I can't do what I want
to do with my own body because I am the wrong
sex the wrong age the wrong skin and
suppose it was not here in the city but down on the beach/
or far into the woods and I wanted to go
there by myself thinking about God/or thinking
about children or thinking about the world/all of it
disclosed by the stars and the silence:
I could not go and I could not think and I could not
stay there
alone
as I need to be
alone because I can't do what I want to do with my own
body and
who in the hell set things up
and in France they say if the guy penetrates
but does not ejaculate then he did not rape me
and if after stabbing him after screams if
after begging the bastard and if even after smashing
a hammer to his head if even after that if he
and his buddies fuck me after that
then I consented and there was
no rape because finally you understand finally
they fucked me over because I was wrong I was
wrong again to be me being me where I was/wrong
to be who I am
which is exactly like South Africa
penetrating into Namibia penetrating into
Angola and does that mean I mean how do you know if
Pretoria ejaculates what will the evidence look like the
proof of the monster jackboot ejaculation on Blackland
and if
after Namibia and if after Angola and if after Zimbabwe
and if after all of my kinsmen and women resist even to
self-immolation of the villages and if after that
we lose nevertheless what will the big boys say will they
claim my consent:
Do You Follow Me: We are the wrong people of
the wrong skin on the wrong continent and what
in the hell is everybody being reasonable about
and according to the Times this week
back in 1966 the C.I.A. decided that they had this problem
and the problem was a man named Nkrumah so they
killed him and before that it was Patrice Lumumba
and before that it was my father on the campus
of my Ivy League school and my father afraid
to walk into the cafeteria because he said he
was wrong the wrong age the wrong skin the wrong
gender identity and he was paying my tuition and
before that
it was my father saying I was wrong saying that
I should have been a boy because he wanted one/a
boy and that I should have been lighter skinned and
that I should have had straighter hair and that
I should not be so boy crazy but instead I should
just be one/a boy and before that
it was my mother pleading plastic surgery for
my nose and braces for my teeth and telling me
to let the books loose to let them loose in other
words
I am very familiar with the problems of the C.I.A.
and the problems of South Africa and the problems
of Exxon Corporation and the problems of white
America in general and the problems of the teachers
and the preachers and the F.B.I. and the social
workers and my particular Mom and Dad/I am very
familiar with the problems because the problems
turn out to be
me
I am the history of rape
I am the history of the rejection of who I am
I am the history of the terrorized incarceration of
my self
I am the history of battery assault and limitless
armies against whatever I want to do with my mind
and my body and my soul and
whether it's about walking out at night
or whether it's about the love that I feel or
whether it's about the sanctity of my vagina or
the sanctity of my national boundaries
or the sanctity of my leaders or the sanctity
of each and every desire
that I know from my personal and idiosyncratic
and disputably single and singular heart
I have been raped
be-
cause I have been wrong the wrong sex the wrong age
the wrong skin the wrong nose the wrong hair the
wrong need the wrong dream the wrong geographic
the wrong sartorial I
I have been the meaning of rape
I have been the problem everyone seeks to
eliminate by forced
penetration with or without the evidence of slime and/
but let this be unmistakable this poem
is not consent I do not consent
to my mother to my father to the teachers to
the F.B.I. to South Africa to Bedford-Stuy
to Park Avenue to American Airlines to the hardon
idlers on the corners to the sneaky creeps in
cars
I am not wrong: Wrong is not my name
My name is my own my own my own
and I can't tell you who the hell set things up like this
but I can tell you that from now on my resistance
my simple and daily and nightly self-determination
may very well cost you your life

June Jordan, Passion: New Poems, 1980

Posted by: Bruce | September 15, 2009 8:28 AM

Sounds like the NHPD is doing their job carefully and thoroughly. Let's hope this sticks.

Mike C. In my opinion the death penalty is a lesser sentence than life in prison. It is an end to suffering (assuming he is actually put to death, which is extremely rare in CT). Prisons for murderers are not country clubs.

Posted by: Bob T. | September 15, 2009 8:37 AM

Great work here, Paul. Good to know that on the biggest stories we can count on local journalism (and online-only, at that) for the best stuff.

Posted by: Drew | September 15, 2009 8:50 AM

Who knew that there were so many amateur forensic pathologists and experts on criminal psychology in this town? You all need to turn off CSI and close the crime novel... too many of you sound like you're enjoying this too much by playing armchair David Caruso.

Posted by: THREEFIFTHS | September 15, 2009 9:46 AM

Mike CamILLI
You say the punishement must fit the crime.So when a innocent person is on death row and found no to have commit the crime,and you was one of the jurys who convict this innocent person,Should you then not be put on death row. We must be careful in using the death penalty,Becuse we are starting to find a lot of people with the use of DNA who did not commit the crime.

Posted by: Joe | September 15, 2009 10:36 AM

It makes sense if indeed the person responsible is an animal tech - animals kept for vivisection are always found in basements and places out of sight to keep hidden their maiming and ultimate death.

Posted by: Mike C | September 15, 2009 10:49 AM

Bruce....I'm sure your right knowing your states view of on penalties. Have you been near a prison? I have a cousin and brother in 2 different prisons. I visit when I can and I can asure you they are all buffed up from weightlifting, got their own TV's, have sex with their wives and don't have to worry about food or a place to sleep. Maybe my use of the word country club was a bit extreme but so is your view that they suffer in prison. In a state like yours you can be sure they will get out in time! And to threefifth...I don't want to hear this BS about all the folk on death row wrongly convicted. In the cases u sight they were let free so the system worked. But to one who did the crime as in this case, justic bemands no less than what he gave her

Posted by: Mister Jones | September 15, 2009 11:12 AM

Someone murdered Annie Le in New Haven, but the case doesn't tell us much about personal safety in the city in general. This is shaping up to be the kind of case that could have happened anywhere. If the killer in fact worked in the building, we'll learn soon enough whether he gave any warning signs. In any event, this murder is very different than the crimes that cause us to question the safety of our city: street crime, muggings, rapes, burglaries, gang warfare, drive-by shootings. The Le murder is very scary indeed, but it doesn't make me feel any more or less safe when I walk or drive through various parts of town.

Posted by: O. Blogger | September 15, 2009 11:18 AM

Three squares and free healthcare is not what people who intentionally take a life should get. Why do taxpayers have to fund this? Why should first degree murderers and rapists receive food, shelter, free education, free healthcare, free counseling, and the opportunity to work, see loved ones, write, read, complain, etc...

If not a swift and PAINFUL death penalty, then these sick perps should all be sent to a deserted island in the middle of the ocean with nothing but the rags on their backs. Let them suffer, starve, kill each other. Who cares. RIP Annie.

Posted by: Mrock | September 15, 2009 11:32 AM

Mike Camilli - you know where else they have an eye for an eye mentality? Iraq.

Posted by: mike rice | September 15, 2009 1:21 PM

Newspapers should establish an editorial corral for this kind of reportage. It would be called Crime and Punishment. Meting out punishment for dastardly deeds is fundamental. Enough with the soft bigotry of pulled punches.

Posted by: Reynaldo | September 15, 2009 1:30 PM

Yale University should consider renaming the building at 10 Amistad Street after Annie Le in her honor...

Posted by: Former Yalie | September 15, 2009 1:34 PM

If there is one thing I have learned from these comments, it's that I hate the poetry of June Jordan.

May Annie rest in peace.

Posted by: G.Girl | September 15, 2009 3:59 PM

Sara....true to say this could have been a professional as well, but lets get to the FACTS...the SUSPECT failed a lie detector test and had defensive wounds which indicated the TECH was involved in some kind of struggle. First and foremost...Naming him as a suspect in this case tells you there is EVIDENCE! that he is tied to the murder of Anne. Don't deny the facts!!.....There you go Sherlock Holmes!!!

Posted by: THREEFIFTHS | September 15, 2009 5:03 PM

M C
You said you don't want to hear about this B.S. about all the folks on Death Row wrongly convicted.You Said that tey were let free so the system worked. It was people outside of the system
not the system that put them in. If fact this system will try to stop people from proving there inbocence http://washingtonindependent.com/47902/supreme-court-denies-prisoner-right-to-dna-evidence
Last I hope this never happens to you. I know someone it happen two and then did five years.

Posted by: Neil | September 15, 2009 5:08 PM

I work in a Yale lab and I doubt I could pass a polygraph test.

Just because the lab tech in the pathology lab failed the polygraph doesn't mean he's guilty.

I've heard that if a crime is committed and if you've ever even "thought" about committing such a crime in the past, you will probably fail the polygraph test.

In my Yale lab where I work with loads of smart-ass know-it-all grad students, I've often thought about strangling them.
They're cultivated by their faculty-advisors to be arrogant, rude and elitist.
I have a Bachelor's degree with decades of experience in the private, government and academic sectors and yet my faculty supervisors expect me to receive and gracefully accept unlimited amounts of feces off grad students simply for the fact they're working on a holy PhD.

I can't count the number of times during my near ten years employment with Yale that I've felt like slapping the face of some self-righteous grad student with a superiority complex.
I wonder if it's the way it's always been or if this arrogant elitism is a recent phenomenon designed to cover up the blatant mediocrity of the Yale Mediocrity Mill.

If some grad student working in my lab was discovered dead, I'm sure the cops would come straight to me.
I'd refuse the polygraph even if I didn't do it.
But I'd probably be guilty.

Posted by: Houndcat, New Haven, CT | September 15, 2009 6:02 PM

Paul Bass is indeed Connecticut's finest journalist for my money. But to pick a nit, Paul, you misread Kaempfer's story in the Register. There's nothing in that story that indicates the suspect had a lawyer with him at any point during police questioning. He apparently stopped responding to questions and requested the presence of a lawyer, as is his right under the Fifth Amendment. Once the suspect (or anyone) invokes their right to have an attorney present, questioning must stop. That's apparently what happened here. There's nothing to indicate that questioning resumed with an attorney present.

Other than that, keep up the great work!

[Editor's note: Thanks! I'll fix.]

Posted by: YaleElitist | September 15, 2009 6:21 PM

AT YALE MANY TECHNICIANS HATE GRAD STUDENTS & POSTDOCs and the feeling is mutual.
I am a former Yale Postdoc and my perception of the situation is totally opposite of Neil's.During my tenure - there was a constant bullying and harassment of Postdocs and Grad students by techs. This severe conflict was and is always ignored by senior faculty. Technicians at Yale are underpaid, frustrated and many are affected by serious inferiority complex. This is quite understandable under the circumstances. There are likely some arrogant Postdocs but most of them are there to simply finish their fellowship and move on and go high up. Lab Techs remains Lab techs - for ever. Post grad student can unfortunately tell the Techs - well, we work in the same lab - but I WILL BE A DOCTOR, you will not. Painful but true.

Posted by: GIAO BUI | September 15, 2009 6:30 PM

Patrick Swayze passed away Monday night after they found the body of Annie Le. All the sudden I feel the connection btw the Ghost movie and Annie's story. She is gone forever, but her spirit is still with us. Hope as her soul floating out there, she would bring hope and love to her first and foremost fiancee, her family and friends just like the way Sam had for Demi (sorry I don't remmember her name in the movie) in ghost. I believe deep in Annie's heart, she still wants to see the wedding happen, still wants to spend the honeymoon with her lover and still wants to chase after her dream to become a scientist who can help others.
RIP Annie

Posted by: robn | September 15, 2009 7:50 PM

NEIL,

Thats a very interesting story...please tell us more.

Posted by: Betty Silberman | September 15, 2009 8:54 PM

I highly encourage women of all ages to take action for themselves: protect yourself by strengthening your body, learn self defense if possible, even have a weapon handy in your home in the event of an intruder! It's important to be proactive, aware of your surroundings at all times, especially in unfamiliar places, dark environments, etc. Know whom you can count on in life. Men often have fragile egos - when challenged, some are prone to committing crimes to unsuspecting women.

Posted by: Bob | September 15, 2009 9:36 PM

Neil, Do you also have fresh scrathes on your chest and were present at the scene and time of the crime? If so, you are a prime suspect as well.

Posted by: Citytrucker | September 15, 2009 11:14 PM

Neil, your complaint sounds like the self-pitying whining of someone who thinks he's working below the level of his ability, but you're not. A BS or BA in Biology qualifies you to be a Lab Tech, not a scientist. Maybe someone with a High School diploma could be trained to do your job just as well, or maybe not. But if you want to do ineteresting work in science you neeed a PHD and or an MD. Resenting the people who are pursuing those credentials will only make your life more miserable than it is already. Quit the lab, get a construction job. You can still bemoan life's inequities, but at least you'll be working outside, getting some exercise, drinking beer, and whistling at the pretty women who pass by instead of fantasizing about murdering them.

Posted by: In a University | September 16, 2009 12:06 AM

Hi Neil,
CITYTRUCKER's opinion is really worthwhile for you.
Think about it , make a big change in your life
before you end up being a killer.

Posted by: phoenix123 | September 16, 2009 7:59 AM

Good advice to Neil, Citytrucker.

Posted by: concerned | September 17, 2009 9:49 AM

Has anyone reported Neil's comment? I hope so! It sounds like it could save someone else's life!

Posted by: Colleen | September 17, 2009 12:43 PM

Give Neil a break. At least he is being honest about what is going on in his workplace. How many of you have ever been treated poorly by a co-worker and complained to a friend about it? Most people everyday I would think. We can get treated poorly driving our cars, in the grocery store, returning merchandise at a store, waiting in line at an amusement park, etc etc etc. There are rude people everywhere and we ALL complain about them. It is human nature to talk about the rude or obnoxious things someone else did or said. There has been a lot of hate in the news lately. Aren't you all talking about it?

Posted by: Neil | September 17, 2009 4:24 PM

I reported Neil.
The cops say that if he says he's going to kill, it's a threat and they can arrest him for the felony.
But if he says he 'thinks' about killing, it's not illegal.
You can think it but you just can't say you're going to do it.
I think the YaleElitist's comment, "but I WILL BE A DOCTOR, you will not" provides an excellent example of the pitiful shallow and mediocritizing attitudes of so many unworthy grad students and post-docs.
Yale, like other universities, is first and foremost an unaccountable propaganda machine. It produces propaganda to fool people into thinking they actually make some significant contribution to society. Post-docs and grad students are mostly incorrigible cocksuckers jumping through the hoops set up by their overpaid, underachieving slave-whore faculty advisors. Yale is a wretched, contemptible and disgraceful academic brothel whose motto should be changed from 'Lux et Veritas' meaning 'Light and Truth' to something more accurate like 'Darkness and Lies.'
Yale will forever be shamefully wicked until it summons the courage to demand an independent, fully funded and fully empowered 9/11 investigation.

Posted by: concerned | September 17, 2009 5:30 PM

Colleen,

We all have crap to deal with at work. You are right we ALL have been treated poorly by someone at some point in our lives. The disturbing part of his post is the fact that he stated that he would probably be guilty of murdering someone.

It is never ok to take someone's life, even if they are mean to us, they make us mad, they reject us, or even if they are different from us.

We are talking about this because it is so hard for us to believe that someone could just take it upon themself to end a life. It is even more difficult to understand when it is someone young, with their whole life ahead of them. As for Neil's post it is disturbing that he condones or defends this murderer.

Neil, if the Grad Students make you feel that way, you should consider a new line of work and not murder! Also, you should understand that those people worked long and hard for their PhD, and if they make you feel so inferior you should consider going back to school! Or, getting another field of work where you are surrounded by people with the same level of education as you.

Posted by: Helen Li | September 24, 2009 1:31 PM

I heard that two of Clark's family plus his girl friend all work in the same lab as him. Is this normal? Did he get the job due to family connections? Maybe that led to his treating the lab like his own fiefdom and acted in an officious way as some had described him as doing. Was he really qualified to work there with just a high school diploma? The University should really look into these issues. An unqualified person is even more likely to have an inferiority complex in the midst of such intellectual fire power. I would not doubt that jealousy and hatred is rife is many work places, just ask me. But strangling a 90 pound, 4 ft 11 inches female to death? There should be now an immediate review of all lab employees and a grievance panel set up to deal with potential conflict situations at Yale and other research facilities. The ideal people to work alongside those wiz kids would be kindly and middle-aged folks. I have a distant uncle in Hong Kong who treated all the students like his own children, seeing them off at airports when they got a chance to study abroad etc. Just a pipe dream that would fail all equal opportunities board policies. Maybe young people with such problems should not apply for such jobs. Neil, are you listening?