3 Marshals Sent To Hospital
by Laurel Leff | Sep 8, 2011 12:33 pm
Posted to: Legal Writes
Three state marshals working the lock-up at the state courthouse on Church Street went to the hospital for treatment of possible carbon monoxide poisoning.
The incident occurred around noon Thursday.
It began when a worker was power washing the outside of the building. Exhaust from the generator got into the air system of the courthouse basement, where prisoners are kept in the lock-up, according to Assistant Fire Chief Ralph Black.
Some 15 firefighters responded to the scene. They found high levels of carbon monoxide in one part of the basement, where marshals come in and out.
About a half-dozen or so marshals were working in the basement at the time, according to Black. They were taken out of the building. They had negative carbon monoxide readings. But three reported feeling nauseous. So they were taken to Yale-New Haven.
Firefighters also checked on the prisoners in the basement. Their section of the basement did not have high carbon monoxide readings, Black said. And none of the prisoners reported feeling ill. So they remained in place. Black said he didn’t know the number of prisoners in the cell block at the time.