Some Favorite Sites
Government/ Community Links
No After-School Programs
by Staff | Feb 15, 2013 3:59 pm
Posted to: Winter Storm Nemo
School is still on next week, but after-school activities are off.
That was the latest news on storm-related cancellations from the Board of Education.
After a week without classes as the city cleans up from Winter Storm Nemo, school will resume on Tuesday, a decision that has sparked some controversy.
In a Friday afternoon press release, the Board of Ed announced several other pieces of information about next week:
• After-school programs have been canceled next week.
• All pre-kindergarten programs are running on their normal schedule next week.
• We ask that parents make every effort to send their children to school next week. We plan to accommodate families who have prearranged travel plans that cannot be changed. Those students will receive excused absences, upon submission of itinerary.
• New Haven Adult Education will be open next week, including evening classes on Tuesday, Feb. 19, and Wednesday, Feb. 20.
• The Magnet School Application deadline has been extended to Friday, February 22. Applications must be submitted online or in person by February 22. More information at: www.newhavenmagnetschools.com.
• Residents parking in school lots due to the snow should move their cars out of the lots by noon Sunday – or sooner – so crews can finish preparing the lots for students to return Tuesday.
• Schools will be fully staffed next week with Central Office and itinerant administrators filling in where needed. This week will be a regular week in terms of academic rigor in the classroom and focus on instruction.
• Busing will resume its normal schedule Tuesday.
Post a Comment
I thought it’s all back to normal. Oh, wait, after-school activities are not needed to meet the 180-day school opening. Hmmmm, after-school could be used to catch up with lost education time or for extra CMT/CAPT preparation, but I guess it’s not really THAT important. And if you are a parent who might rely on an after-school activity for your child’s enrichment or to put in a few more hours of work—you lose too.