Who Left The Stove On?
by Gwyneth K. Shaw | Nov 2, 2012 4:40 pm
Posted to: The Annex
Firefighters called to reports of a fire Friday afternoon found a smoke-filled apartment—the result of a scorched pan atop a burner left on when the power went off during Superstorm Sandy.
The tenant inside a downstairs apartment at 32 Peat Meadow Rd., off Main Street near the East Haven border, wasn’t home when the power came back on. But his smoke detectors were working fine, alerting neighbors, who called the fire department.
Firefighters broke down the door and were greeted with a lot of smoke, but no permanent damage. The blackened pan (pictured) was tossed on the grass outside.
Fire officials urge anyone whose power is still out to check their stoves and any other appliances that give off heat, such as irons or toaster ovens, to make sure they’re off.
Post a Comment
This is a great example of a public safety system that worked perfectly. Power comes back on and causes a cooking fire, the properly operating smoke detector alerts occupants, 911 called and a properly staffed FD response follows. This incident had a successful outcome because of a great system. Take one component out of the system and the outcome could have been much worse. This happens several times a day in every municipality across the country. Support your local firefighters, the life they save may be yours.