Murderer Gets 125 Years

Thomas MacMillan PhotoSuperior Court Judge Elpedio Vitale Tuesday sentenced a 35-year-old New Haven man named Craig “Mousey” Hines to 125 years in jail for committing a double murder.

The murder occurred way back on June 1, 2000, when Hines murdered Lakeia Vaughn and Lamont “Deuce” Brockenberry on Winthrop Avenue.

The investigatory trail went cold on that case. The FBI and city detectives revived the investigation in 2010, and were led by a source to Hines. Police arrested him in April 6, 2011.

New Haven Officer Mike Mastropetre, a member of the Cold Case Unit, is credited with making the breakthrough in the revived investigation. Read more about the case, and the arrest, here.

In other police news, police recovered two illegally owned guns after a foot chase.

The chase took place around 9 p.m. last Thursday after a tip to the cops that two men in a group hanging out in the driveway at 151-161 Fitch St. were armed.

Here’s what happened, according to police spokesman Officer David Hartman:

Five officers arrived to find the group hanging around a green Honda and apparently smoking pot.

“Police. Don’t move!” they called as they approached the car and spotted the alleged gun-carriers.

The two men ran in different directions. One, who is 28 years old and lives on Valley Street, “reached into his waistband while refusing to listen to orders” as Officers Louis DeCresecenzo and Ryan Macuirzynski ran after him. “Officer DeCrescenzo used his Taser to stop [the suspect],  who still wouldn’t present his hands. The officers got him under control and asked him if he had a gun on him.”

He admitted to it. The officers pulled “a loaded Super Matic High-standard MFG Corp. FK-101 .22 handgun” from the man’s waistband.

Officer David Stratton chased the other man, who is 20 years old and lives on Day Street.

“During the pursuit, the officer saw [the suspect] reach into his front pocket, retrieve something and throw it over a fence into the yard of 310 Dyer St. Officer Stratton knew the area and knew [the suspect] was heading toward a dead end. He took a different route around the building and surprised [the suspect] as he rounded the corner.

“‘It was my cell phone!’ [the suspect] yelled.

“[The suspect] was, in fact missing his cell phone—both of them. They were recovered as officers retraced his path. They also recovered a Walther .32 handgun from the grass below the fence at 310 Dyer.”

Neither of the men has a gun permit. One is a convicted felon. They were arrested on various weapons and interfering charges.

Post a Comment

Commenting has closed for this entry


posted by: jim1 on May 7, 2014  6:22am

1.  Very good job on the 125 years.
2.  I hope these two get put away. And not let them plea bargain it down to a wrist slap.  Federal crime.  Let ATF have them.