by Paul Bass | Jan 11, 2013 12:31 pm
Posted to: The Hill
A day after being released from jail, a 25-year-old man returned to a Hill grocery to try to rob it a fourth time, police said.
He ended up behind bars again, this time probably for a longer time.
An Independent story Wednesday detailed the three armed robberies the man confessed to committing or trying to commit at Super Star Food Market at Orchard Street and Sylvan Avenue. Wearing a mask and carrying a knife, he went to the store three times in a week. Two times he allegedly made off with money and escaped. The third time, when he allegedly was en route to another heist, a police officer stopped him and arrested him.
The man was initially charged with carrying a dangerous weapon, a felony. He was arraigned in court Tuesday, then released on a promise to appear before a judge again a week later.
Meanwhile, detectives were drawing up a warrant for his arrest on the armed robbery charges based on his confession.
Police were preparing to serve it when yet another incident occurred around 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, according to top Hill cop Lt. Holly Wasilewski.
She said the knife-wielding man held up the same clerk, Sarhan Abdullah (pictured earlier in the week with the aluminum bat he keeps by the register but doesn’t wish to swing), yet again. He escaped with cash from the lottery drawer. Abdullah called the cops yet again.
As the cops fanned out to look for the robber, Hill Officer Mary Helland noted to Wasilewski that the man had been found walking on Kossuth Street the previous time he was arrested.
Wasilewski headed in that direction and found the man at Ann and West streets. He had taken off his sweatshirt, which police found down the street, but still had the same San Antonio Spurs hat on that the store’s video surveillance camera showed him wearing during the robbery, and he still had the $25 he had stolen, Wasilewski said. He was arrested, charged with the robbery, and locked up, she said.
The man later confessed to the police that he had committed this robbery, too, according to police spokesman Officer David Hartman. His charges this time include first-degree robbery and sixth-degree larceny. The man won’t end up right back on the street this time, Hartman predicted. After a court appearance on the new charges Thursday, the man continued to be held in custody, on a $100,000 bond.