Construction Worker Critical
by Staff | Jul 24, 2012 12:00 pm
Posted to: Downtown
An electric shock knocked a worker unconscious at the construction site of a new Yale residential college Tuesday morning and sent him to the hospital.
The incident occurred around 8:30 a.m.
Here’s what happened, according to Assistant Fire Chief Ralph Black:
A member of a Turner Construction crew was on the job on Prospect Street near Prospect Place. He was working a mechanical pump in a below-ground vault. When he touched a part of the pump, he received the shock.
Two fellow workers “ran out and called 911.” A crew on East Rock’s Engine 8 arrived within three minutes. The man wasn’t breathing, Black said. “He had no pulse.”
The crew “brought him back” using an automatic defibrillator and performing CPR. The man was breathing as he traveled by ambulance to Yale-New Haven Hospital.
But as of 1 p.m., Black said, the man’s condition had worsened to critical.
Turner shut down that portion of the job Tuesday as Yale’s and New Haven’s fire marshals and the city building department’s electrical inspector were on scene investigating. Officials also notified the federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA).
The man’s name and age were not made available.
Post a Comment
There were no comments