by Thomas B. Scheffey, Connecticut Law Tribune | Dec 3, 2014 3:03 pm
Superior Court Judge Stephen Frazzini has vacated an order forbidding The Connecticut Law Tribune from publishing a story about a child custody case.
Daniel Klau, the Hartford lawyer who has been representing the Law Tribune, said the judge issued “a nine-page order, explaining why he vacated his injunction.” The entire order, like the other rulings in this matter, remain under seal, and Klau has been ordered not disclose them to his client.
“The judge also declined to stay his order to vacate,” said Klau, “which means the future appellate review of the matter is unknown.”
by marcia chambers | May 13, 2014 6:02 am | Comments (1)
The Branford Eagle has been named Best Hyperlocal News Site in the 2014 “Best of New Haven” readers poll.
The results of the annual poll, now published by the Hartford Courant and formerly published by the now-defunct New Haven Advocate, were announced last week. (The Courant kept the poll alive after deciding to stop publishing the New Haven Advocate, which it owned, and folding it into its weekly “CT Now” arts section.)
The Eagle, which has won numerous statewide journalism awards in serving Branford for the past eight years, won the best local news site category. The New Haven Independent came in second, followed by CTBoom.com, a site with a comedic bent that publishes out of Milford.
by Staff | Apr 28, 2014 12:50 am | Comments (1)
Eight years ago, on April 26, 2006, the Branford Eagle was born. We started as a column. In 2009, we grew our staff and evolved into an online news site. We are part of the New Haven Independent, a daily news site published by the not-for-porfit Online Journalism Project.
We have had quite a run.
In 2013, the Connecticut Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ) gave the Branford Eagle and its reporters and photographer 16 awards, including first place awards for its coverage in 2012 of Superstorm Sandy.
by Mark Pazniokas | Mar 11, 2014 10:13 am
In testimony delivered in quick succession Monday to two legislative committees, Senate President Pro Tem Donald E. Williams Jr., D-Brooklyn, strongly condemned post-Newtown legislation that would restrict public access to 9-1-1 recordings, police photographs and names of witnesses in drug or violent crimes.
by marcia chambers | Mar 4, 2014 12:44 pm | Comments (2)
State Sen. Ed Meyer (D- 12th) long a defender of the public’s right to know, believes that a law hastily adopted last June in the aftermath of the Sandy Hook school murders “is a danger to our history.” He said he would oppose a task force’s recommendation to continue the law when the legislature votes this session.
“Once government decides to cover up what it is doing, whether it is police or school officials or state senators, then it absolutely attacks our democratic system, democratic with a small d,” he said in an interview on the Branford Eagle’s BCTV cable show.
by Hugh McQuaid | Feb 4, 2014 8:13 am
Proposals to change the Freedom of Information Act are on the legislative table again this year in addition to the recommendations of the recently-concluded task force on privacy and public disclosure.
State Sen. Ed Meyer, who represents Branford, worries about a trend toward restricting public access to information.
by Staff | Jan 27, 2014 1:11 pm
(Opinion) The Newtown shootings have led a state task force to suggest eviscerating a generation of freedom-of-information protections and enable police, inveterate violators of current laws, to keep even more public information secret. There’s still time to stop the changes.
Click here to read the full story.
by Diana Stricker | Jan 24, 2014 8:17 am
First Selectman Jamie Cosgrove has a new plan for budget season—- he has asked town department heads to prepare three budget scenarios which would reflect their wishes, a 0 percent increase, and a 2 percent reduction.
Cosgrove discussed the plan during a cable TV “Branford Eagle” program interview with host Marcia Chambers. The complete interview will be shown on BCTV, the town’s public access cable Channel 18, beginning tonight (Friday) at 7 p.m.
by marcia chambers | Jan 8, 2014 1:25 pm
For about two years, a massive $25 million weight-loss scam allegedly operated out of a condo office at Branford’s 420 East Main St., in building 2, Suite 8. The scam allegedly drew in unwitting consumers across the nation, consumers who relied on fake news sites, $79.99 a month at a time.
Over a period of 19 months from September 2010 to April 2011, a Guilford man named Boris Mizhen, along with Richard Chiang, who allegedly operated a company named LeadClick Media in Poway, California, devised “unfair and deceptive” media practices to advertise the benefits of diet supplements and to use “real reporters” to sell the product. The operation was a fake, authorities say.
by Sally E. Bahner | Dec 31, 2013 11:00 am | Comments (1)
A former Branford resident posted a simple query about a tragic, horrific event that took place in his childhood home (pictured) more than 50 years ago. He wanted to know what happened. His curiosity prompted close to 450 comments; finally, he had some answers.
Bill LaRock, who now lives in Texas, posted his query on the Growing Up in Branford Facebook page.
“I’m hesitant to put this out here, but I really would like to know if anyone who has joined this page lived in Branford during the late 1950s – early 1960s? Or maybe your parents did? My mother purchased a home in Branford, I believe in the early 1960s in the Hills section. According to her this house was involved in a horrific crime… a murder/suicide. I wasn’t born yet but she needed an inexpensive house and a way to get my brother and sister out of apartment living in New Haven. Obviously a crime like this wouldn’t go unnoticed in a small community like Branford, so I imagine anyone living in the town at this time knew of this incident. Does anyone have any information about this event or the people involved?”