Cops: Woman Cried Wolf—8 Times

Cops said a woman called with a tall tale of being chased—so that cops would escort her home. Two other times, she called because she was lonely.

After her latest false report—of a man with a gun—police arrested her.

Here’s what happened, according to police spokesman Officer Dave Hartman:

On Friday at 3:07 a.m., four police officers, a sergeant, a SWAT cop, and a police dog responded to the Mobil gas station at 200 Sargent Dr. on a report of an armed man. Some of the cops had been en route to a report of an armed robbery in another part of the city. Police found two men and a 26-year-old woman standing outside the gas station’s store. All three told cops they hadn’t phoned in the report.

The dispatcher told Sgt. Richard Miller that the caller had been female. He asked the dispatcher to call back the number that the report had come from. The 26-year-old woman’s phone started ringing: New Haven police department calling.

The woman confessed she had made the false report. Cops arrested her for making a false report.

Cops found she had made many calls to police in 2013. State police reported receiving hang-up calls from her phone.

“On February 24, she phoned to report someone chasing her,” Hartman said. “When the officers arrived, she didn’t wish to pursue the matter, rather just wanted someone to escort her home. Other calls prompted a substantial Police response, including one in which an entire busload of passengers were detained while officers investigated one of her unfounded complaints. On April 2, she called 911 twice and told officers she didn’t remember why she’d called, but that she was lonely. In all, the New Haven police department has completed at least eight investigations that required written reports.”

In other police news, according to Hartman:

Gun Found On School Roof: At 6:57 p.m. on Saturday, police responded to a report of a burglary on Gregory Street in Dixwell. The caller told cops he’d seen three people trying to get in a second-story window. Officers Scott Shumway and Brian Jackson spotted two people matching the descriptions. They detained one, then the other after a short chase.

With the help of the fire department, cops found a .357 Smith & Wesson revolver on the roof of the Wexler Grant School, where one suspect had run.

Cops charged the pair with trespassing and attempted burglary. The one who ran was also arrested on various gun charges.

Cyberspace Fight Spills Over To RL: At 12:56 p.m. on Sunday, Officer Matthew Abbate responded to an assault complaint on Ferry Street. As he pulled up, young women fled. Three remained. One held a small souvenir baseball bat, which Abbate took from her.

The argument, which had started on Facebook, involved a 14-, 16-, 17-, 18-, and 25-year-old. One accused another of “slanderous talk,” Hartman said.

On Sunday, several of the women confronted the 14-year-old on her porch. She threw a liquid—which may have been bleach—at them. That’s when Abbate pulled up.

No one had been hurt and no one wanted to press charges. They went on their separate ways,” Hartman said. “That is, until about a half hour later, the 14-year-old was assaulted on Bright Street by the 25- and 18-year-old.”

Cops arrested the two women.

Post a Comment

Commenting has closed for this entry

There were no comments