Public Thanked For Help In Swift Murder Arrest

The public did what cops always urge them to do—and thereby helped police arrest an alleged killer within hours of a crime.

That was the message Tuesday from top cops.

“It was unprecedented how the community responded,” Assistant Police Chief Archie Generoso said at a 3:40 p.m. press conference at police headquarters, thanking the public. “It showed what’s possible.”

Generoso (pictured at the scene Monday night with Assistant Chief Luiz Casanova, at right) was referring to the arrest of an 18-year-old man for allegedly shooting 58-year-old Donald Bradley to death behind a Burger King at 7:21 p.m. Monday. Because so many people came forward to help the cops—witnesses at the scene, phone callers, family members—the police were able to act fast and solve the case, he said. (Read a detailed account of the evening here.)

Generoso was also referring to the years-long quest by police to convince members of the public to come forward with information about crimes, to trust the cops. He suggested that the latest instance might represent the turning of a corner.

“People cooperated with us, I would like to believe, because of the way we’re doing business now in the city,” Generoso said.

Three teens had called Bradley Monday night to ask for a ride across town to Fair Haven. Bradley regularly gave them rides for money, according to police.

They stopped by the drive-thru at Burger King. Bradley then recognized an 18-year-old in the car as someone with whom he had had a previous argument, according to police. He wanted the teen to leave. An argument ensued. It ended up outside the car, with the 18-year-old firing four or five bullets, including a deadly blow to the chest, police said.

The teens then fled.

When police arrived, patrol officers quickly sealed off the scene—and spoke to witnesses who offered crucial information: that two of the teens had run to a house around the corner on Orchard. So officers quickly surrounded that building and sealed it off.

Other members of the public provided information about the shooting and about the teens. An uncle and father of one of the teens, and the grandmother of another, cooperated with police at the scene. They gave cops information that SWAT negotiator David Hartman used as he spoke with the teens via bullhorn.

Generoso and Chief Dean Esserman Tuesday repeatedly praised the work of various cops, as well: the patrol officers who acted fast, the detectives who developed evidence fast, the cops who used “remarkable restraint,” in Esserman’s words, by waiting hours to convince the teens to come out peacefully rather than storming the house.

And several cops, including victim-services Officer Jillian Knox, succeeded at the scene in consoling upset family members and keeping the tense scene calm.

Eventually the two teens emerged from the house and surrendered. Police charged one of them, an 18-year-old, with murder and interfering with police. He made an appearance Tuesday afternoon in the state Superior Court on Elm Street, where his case was transferred to the Church Street court and continued until Aug. 7.

The other teen who had been in the house, a 16-year-old, was charged with interfering.

And the third man who had been present in the car turned himself in for questioning shortly before Tuesday afternoon’s press conference. He had not fled to the house with the other two teens Monday night. Generoso said at this point he’s being considered a witness, not an offender.

After the teens’ surrender, police obtained a warrant to search the house on Orchard. They recovered a .38-caliber Colt revolver used in the murder, according to Generoso. He said police hadn’t yet determined if the 18-year-old legally owned the weapon.

Tags: ,

Post a Comment

Commenting has closed for this entry


posted by: Ex-NHPD on July 25, 2012  1:30am

The article claims Generoso said police were unsure if the 18 year old arrested for the murder legally owned the Colt handgun.

If he is 18 years old, he can not purchase a handgun, nor can he be in possession of a handgun; you must be 21 years old to obtain a Pistol Permit in Connecticut.

He was charged with Murder, which was committed with a handgun.  He should be additionally charged with Possession/Carrying a Pistol w/o a Permit, and/or Criminal Use of a Firearm.  The Murder charge does not include the firearm possession.

posted by: Charl on July 25, 2012  12:42pm

I, too, praise the police for their handling of this incident. 

I wish the “No Snitching” creedo of the inner city   would be exposed for what it is:  Gangster thugs, drug dealers, pimps, and violent murderers threaten anyone from the neighborhood who ‘snitches’ or shines light on illegal, criminal behavior.  I feel for honest residents of the inner city-  they are distrustful of police (and rightly so, oftentimes) and are also intimidated by the thugs in their neighborhoods.

What will it take for the honest people living in the inner cities to realize that it is this ‘No Snitching’ which is ruining their neighborhoods and killing their own people (by people, I mean relatives, friends, and neighbors)?

On a side note:  I am sure the detectives have figured this out, but this seems like a set-up all the way.  The three teens called the victim regularly for ‘rides to Fair Haven?’

If the teen who shot the victim knew he was coming to pick them up, does that not show pre-meditation?  And, he just happened to have a gun on him at the time?

It does not make sense that an 18 year old would shoot someone just because he held a grudge from a previous encounter, and no longer wanted to drive him & his friends across town.  This is speculation, but it seems logical from the information provided in the story that something does not add up.

Definitely a sad, unnecessary killing.